Montreal Game Festival

Senior Production

Post XVII


This last week has been an important step forward for my team and i’d like to take a moment to talk about it. This past weekend, two of my producers and one of our designers took our game up to the Montreal Game Festival where we showed off our game, along with a bunch of other indie games. This meant that we had a very important deadline to hit and the build got a lot of work before the Saturday when the event occurred. During this small crunch, we as a team realized a few things and really got to see how we all work under pressure and tight deadlines. This ended up working out well for us and was an eye opener. But what did this mean for the build?

The original intent when we signed up for this event back in January was to show an updated version of our first level. This was something that we’ve been slowly working on but the keyword here is slowly. We hit a bit of a bottleneck and this delayed the level and we ended up realizing last week on Wednesday that there was no way we could get this updated version of the first level done in time. This is when we made the decision to revamp our existing level to better show off some of the new things we plan to pursue in our game. It meant removing a lot of old content and putting in brand new content that hadn’t been implemented before. It meant new art assets and new functionality all in the span of roughly 72 hours. The team quickly went to work on this and we got a lot done.

I personally was working on a new system in our game which involves a radio the player finds at the beginning of the first level. This radio is important to the narrative and revolves around having radio conversations with someone on the other end who is guiding the player. This meant two things for me.

1. We needed to be able to create conversations from sound files.

2. We needed to be able to play the conversations.

What I created was a robust system which is relatively easy for the designer to create conversations and play them. With it, I also quickly created a small radio which is what you pick up that initiates this part of the gameplay. Below I have put the class which I created for creating Radio Conversations just to show how simple it is. Essentially, it is just creating data which the RadioComponent uses to play sound files in a particular order with specific delays.

What makes this particularly interesting is that the designer can create these in Unreal’s Editor and easily play them. Just by creating a blueprint class which inherits from RadioConversation and setting the default values for the VoiceLines and VoiceLineDelays arrays.

25 26

Beyond this, I also spent time fixing bugs and managing the other programmers to make sure we kept our priorities straight and could meet our deadline. Overall, I think we did a great job considering how little time we had and it showed how dedicated to the project every member of the team was.

This is all I have to talk about and show for this week, but in the near future I will be posting a tutorial on how to use Git (specifically showing off TortoiseGit). This is intended for people who have never used Git before but is also there to serve as a guide for those who don’t fully understand how to do everything. Keep an eye out for this sometime this week!

TL;DR:

  • We had a small crunch
  • We took our game to the Montreal Game Festival!
  • I created a system for Radio Conversations

Leave a Reply