I am a strong willed, passionate, and hard working individual who strives for the best in everything that I do. I am a team oriented leader who is not afraid to take the reins and always strives to go above and beyond the expectations.
I have several years of professional experience programming in C++ on a competitive multiplayer FPS. I am passionate about working on core gameplay systems and frameworks and a very user focused developer. I try to make the experience better for the user, whether its a player or a colleague using the systems i’ve worked on.
I am interested in many aspects of game development, but my primary interests are on gameplay systems. I enjoy creating polished gameplay experiences where the user doesn’t have to fight with the game to experience the game how they want and can focus on enjoying the game.
Outside of game development, I am an avid gamer and enjoy sitting back and enjoying various genres including (but not limited to) MMO, MOBA, RTS, FPS, RPG and Puzzle games. I have also been a musician for numerous years and enjoy playing music on the piano, guitar and alto saxophone. I also enjoy playing Golf and I used to participate in Martial Arts, specifically Tae Kwon Do which I hold two Black Belts in.
I am experienced in many programming languages but there are several that I use frequently for various tasks.
I primarily work in C++, however I have some experience workin in C#, and Java.
I have used various tools, game frameworks/engines, libraries and IDEs during my studies, work and free time.
I have used and am experienced with the following IDEs and Text Editors: Visual Studio, Eclipse, and Vim/GVim to name a few.
I have some experience using several large game engines/frameworks including: XNA4.0, Unity, and Unreal Engine 4.
I have experimented and used these libraries: DirectX 9, DirectX 11, Allegro5, SFML and AndEngine
Over the last 5 years, I have worked on Rainbow Six: Siege as a Gameplay Programmer. During my time on the project, i’ve been able to work on a long list of features, systems, bug fixes, and more. I’ve fixed major game breaking bugs before and after they’ve gone live to players.
I’ve shipped 4 operators from prototype to the final product. These operators are Finka, Maverick, Wamai, and Aruni. The most challenging of which was Aruni. Her gadget is something you can deploy on doors/windows/walls and projects a grid of lasers; This laser grid can destroy just about any gadget in the game that comes into contact with the lasers as well as damaging enemy players who pass through them. Creating this gadget involved months of tech development to expand and in some cases create new systems. The most difficult part was the gadget and player detection for the lasers. Due to its extremely thin detection (a few cm thick), it was a challenge to accurately detect both players and projectiles. A lot of time was spent fine tuning the detection algorithm to create a reliable and fair gameplay experience. The end result is an extremely reliable gadget with a fun and engaging gameplay, and minimal bugs.
Recently, i’ve had the pleasure of mentoring newer members to the gameplay team. Teaching them about all of the legacy code and helping them to navigate the complexities of the game and to create reliable gameplay code which will work in a networked environment while not being prone to exploits.
Emergent Media Center
I worked at the EMC for over 2 years. During my time there, I worked on three projects. They are the ECHO Project (August 2013 – April 2014), the Make a Change project (April 2014 – March 2016), and the UNESCO project (March 2016 – May 2016).
While on the ECHO project, I worked on an Android application for the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center. It was developed in Java using AndEngine specifically for the Nexus 7 and 10 tablets. My role was primarily within the game’s primary menu/UI system called the journal and developing much of its content and functionality. I also did a small amount of work within one of the games (Algae Officer) doing some bug fixing. Having entered the project halfway through development, my role was focused less on the games and more on the remaining content which was menu and general functionality.
I worked on the Make a Change project for the entirety of its development from prototyping to the final deliverable. The Make a Change project was developed in Action Script 3 with the intention of the experience being purely through the web using the mouse. My role changed over the course of the project, but it included implementing various prototype games, extending games, bug fixing, database management, tools and deployment. I also contributed a lot to the framework code used throughout the project including the sound, tutorial and image systems.